I begin this post with gratitude. This is the life where I strive for progress, not perfection. This is the life where I’ve learned that trusting my heart is what I need to do more of, and unplugging (time alone) allows me to really listen to my heart. In situations where I feel anxiety, frustration, life’s struggles…..I “breathe” to reframe, calm down and restore. Prior to this mindset, I’d “get busy” or “stuck” with the situation. God has brought me to the last month of the year where I know with certainty, that I am right where I’m supposed to be. And so blessed to wake up each day praying that my work will encourage and inspire, as well help us all embrace the sometimes difficult journeys, trusting God to do His best work.
I hope you’re as excited about this month’s challenge as I am because there are a few surprises along the way. Be sure to follow @mellanee_harmon for daily updates <3
Dedicated December is challenge for you to stay purposeful in your fitness, intentional with self-care, and simply stick to a healthy habit each day. Here are some ideas to get you fired on all cylinders and feeling your best!
- “Crowding Out” – deprivation is not a healthy approach to the holidays, but neither is going “all in” with junky food. Crowding out means to drink more water, eat healthier foods just prior to your holiday party or meal, and plan ahead. But remember, you can indulge on occasion, and guilt-free!
- Take your multi-vitamin and fish oil supplement every day. The state of inflammation in our body is at the core of wellness. So why supplement? Because our bodies are constantly faced with daily stressors leading to free radicals, including everyday stress, lack of sleep, processed foods, and strenuous exercise. I take USANA Health Sciences CellSentials and BiOmega Fish Oil. Taking this daily multivitamin is one of the easiest things you can do for your health. It’s never a replacement for a poor diet, but taking the CellSentials + BiOmega fills in any nutrient deficiency gaps and can elevate your nutrient levels to an optimal state.
- Move your body! Ease into your workout routine with what works best for you. For me, a cardio sesh with a group of like-minded women instantly lifts my mood and opens my heart. I also love, love a mix of Pilates and yoga to allow more breathing space within each movement. Make a fun playlist and aim for 20-30 minutes each day. I’ve got plenty of HIIT, Pilates and low-impact workouts on the blog to choose from, have at it!
- Self-care – if you’re already setting healthy boundaries, listening or reading to inspirational podcasts or books, connecting with nature, saying “no” to things that don’t excite you, then kudos, keep doing that! If this is an area in which you feel uneasy or self-care is a foreign concept, I want to encourage you that it’s almost impossible to be where you want to be physically if your emotional and spiritual states are not aligned. Research shows that when you connect to your breath, be still, you will become more calm. This practice requires consistency with an open heart and work, but will result in more fun, play, joy and laughter.
How to participate in the challenge:
- Each day in December, leave your comment below (every day!) or on your social media account (be sure to tag @mellanee_harmon on Insta), with the workout you did or healthy habit you killed that day!
- You will receive one point for each post or comment! It’s that easy and super fun to build hype around being so healthy in mind, body and spirit! Woohoo!!
Examples of posts or comments: “I went to a relaxation yoga class today!” >> “I got in my water intake for the day!” >> “I listened to the best podcast this morning!” (tell us the podcast and how it inspired you!) >> “I did some “crowding out” at lunch by eating a great big mixed green, veggie salad with my turkey wrap!” >> “I took my vitamins along with a big bowl of vegetable soup over getting “takeout” “! Take pictures on your social media account or comment here on the blog, just share the love.
Winners will be tallied and announced the week of January 8th! Good luck and I can’t wait to hear from each of you beginning December 1!
PC: Pete Harmon, Simsbury, Connecticut
Share this post: Follow me on:
Leave a Reply